Monday, January 7, 2008

New Firewall for Rick: Part II - Options, Options, Options

We're now on day 2 of the pfSense Firewall/Router. So far I've rebuilt it once - probably because I can't quit screwing with things.

There are a few items I'd like to have in my little device that most people don't give a rats hiney about. First thing I'd like is to explain that I have not got unlimited room for the projects I once had room for. Gone is the day of having a rack or two of goodies in the house. No more room all to myself where lie an assortment of hardware goodness from the likes of Sun, SGI, Apple, and several other vendors.

Now I need to cram as much crap onto a single box as I can.

So, I'd really like to have a BBS on the little pfSense machine.

No; not phpBB or something like that - we're talkin' Synchronet ( http://synchro.net ) here. But to do that, and some other stuff, I need a dev environment on the little box. DANGER DANGER DANGER!! Yeah.. whatever.. this ain't no corporation I'm protectin' here. It's a couple of boxes I use to play Everquest II on, or ssh out to work, or .. well.. write this ether-poo.

I installed the dev package (hey.. it was right there in packages..).. and then something occured to me: I had not rebooted the thing since it was configured. I had better stop now, before I actually do anything with it and reboot for sanity's sake.

Reboot - no web interface. Eep!

Ok.. so I rebuild the thing again - this time I decide to use the config wizard.. which works without a hitch.

Now.. until I figure out what killed the web interface, I think I'll wait on the BBS. Bummer.. well.. actually, I do have a license for APE and a spare Atari 130XE lying around.. maybe I'll make use of the port forwarding, and setup my BBS on my Atari 8-bit.. it's a way more fun hack anyway...

No comments: